Merkonomi, Vocational Qualification in Business
Vocational Qualification in Business
OSAO is offering a study programme in business delivered completely in English. After graduation you will be qualified to work in various business-related jobs such as customer service, sales and marketing communications in international environments.
Career and studies
After graduation you will be qualified to work in various business-related jobs such as customer service, sales and marketing communications in Finland or abroad.
The programme includes International Baccalaureate career-related studies (IBCP). Our internationally geared study programme gives you both globally valid working life skills and academically challenging study component that improve s your thinking skills and intercultural understanding.
Employment and opportunities for further studies
The course of study provides you with vocational as well as language skills that are an advantage when working in international business environments.
Vocational qualification gives students eligibility for further education in universities and universities of applied sciences in Finland. As a result of IB career-related studies you will be well-prepared for applying to higher education.
Information about applying
Who can apply
Basic entrance requirements for studying Vocational qualification in Business:
- Completed Finnish comprehensive school or other basic education (approximately nine years, age 7-16)
- Good written and oral command in the English language
- Basic command of the Finnish language (1.3 European language framework)
We can yearly accept a few applicants without the Finnish national qualifications in basic education. In this case we require that the applicant has the necessary capacity to study in the programme and also has a well grounded reason to study in Oulu Vocational College.
Foreign applicants under 18 years old must have a legal guardian living in the Oulu area.
A well-grounded reason could be e.g. family reasons. We will check the eligibility and guardian’s information before inviting the applicant to the entrance exam.
The education is mainly targeted at Finns, citizens of the EU and applicants possessing residence permit in the EU. If you have a residence permit in the EU, please attach it to the application.
How to apply
- Read the applicant’s quide before filling in the application form.
- Fill in the online application form. The application form is available during the application period from 22 February to 22 March 2022 and closes on the last day of application at 15:00 Finnish time.
- Attach copies of the school certificates to the application form.
- If you are graduating from a Finnish comprehensive school (peruskoulu) in the spring 2022, deliver a photocopy of the school certificate by 8 June 2022.
- Invitations to entrance examination are sent to all invited applicants by email.
- The entrance examination is arranged on 12 May 2022 in Oulu. We cannot arrange any entrance examinations online.
- The results of student selection will be published 14 June 2022 at the earliest.
- Studies start in August 2022. All selected students must bring their original documents to be verified on the first day of their studies.
Delivery address for the documents
OSAO, Kaukovainion yksikkö, palvelut
Kotkantie 2 C
Documents by email to email@example.com.
Planned duration of studies
Planned duration is three years.
Admission points are awarded for general academic success and for entrance examination result.
Some applicants can be accepted in discretionary selection. The reasons for discretionary selection are e.g. difficulties in determining the applicability of certificates (applicants without the Finnish national qualifications in basic education).
If you have the required amount of points but lack sufficient readiness in oral and written communication in English, you cannot be admitted to the study programme.
Structure of studies
Vocational units 145 competence points(cp)
Compulsory vocational modules
- Customer Service, 20 cp
- Profitable operation, 20 cp
- Acting in a work community, 15 cp
Optional vocational modules
- Sales, 30 cp
- Event production, 15 cp
- Planning a business, 15 sp
- IBDP Business and Management, SL, 15 cp
- IBDP English B, SL, 10 cp
- IBCP Reflective project, 5 cp
Common units, 35 competence points
Read more information about qualification at Studyinfo.
Cost of studying
Education is free. You have to have an own laptop and you buy the books yourself. In addition, IB examination fees round 200 euros.
Tiina Karvonen, Head of Department
+358 50 462 4720
Maria Juntunen, Study Counsellor
+358 40 637 3094