Merkonomi, Vocational Qualification in Business
Vocational Qualification in Business
Oulu Vocational College OSAO is offering a study programme in business delivered completely in English. After graduation you will be qualified to work in various business-related jobs such as customer service, sales and marketing communications in international environments.
Career and studies
After graduation you will be qualified to work in various business-related jobs such as customer service, sales and marketing communications in Finland or abroad.
The programme includes International Baccalaureate career-related studies (IBCP). Our internationally geared study programme gives you both globally valid working life skills and academically challenging study component that improve s your thinking skills and intercultural understanding.
Employment and opportunities for further studies
The course of study provides you with vocational as well as language skills that are an advantage when working in international business environments.
Vocational qualification gives students eligibility for further education in universities and universities of applied sciences in Finland. As a result of IB career-related studies you will be well-prepared for applying to higher education.
Information about applying
Who can apply
This program is for those who have completed basic education (approximately nine years) with a good command in English language and are without completed vocational qualification.
Upper secondary or higher education graduates can be accepted only in exceptional case if there are free study places.
We can yearly accept a few applicants without the Finnish national qualifications in basic education. In this case we require that the applicant has the necessary capacity to study in the programme and also has a well grounded reason to study in Oulu Vocational College.
Foreign applicants under 18 years old must have a legal guardian living in the Oulu area.
A well-grounded reason could be e.g. family reasons. We will check the eligibility and guardian’s information before inviting the applicant to the entrance exam.
Read more information about qualification at Studyinfo.
How to apply
Due to coronavirus situation we have to make changes in our students admission process.
We will not invite applicants outside of Finland to the entrance examination held on 6 May 2021.
We will do the selection in two steps:
- Selection based on the documents: school certificates and an initial questionnaire. The initial questionnaire will be sent after the end of the application period.
- Based on the documents, selected applicants will be invited to an online entrance examination. The interviews will be arranged between 11-14 May
- Read the applicant’s quide before filling in the application form.
- Fill in the online application form. The application form is available during the application period from 23 February to 7 April and closes on the last day of application at 15:00 Finnish time.
- Attach copies of the school and work experience certificates to the application form or deliver the documents by email to email@example.com by 20 March 2021.
- If you are graduating from a Finnish comprehensive school (peruskoulu) in the spring 2020, deliver a photocopy of the school certificate by 8 June 2021.
- Invitations to entrance examination are sent to all invited applicants by email.
- The entrance examination is arranged on 6 May 2021 in Oulu. We cannot arrange any entrance examinations via Skype.
- The results of student selection will be published 14 June 2021 at the earliest.
- Studies start in August 2021. All selected students must bring their original documents to be verified on the first day of their studies.
Delivery address for the documents
OSAO, Kaukovainion yksikkö, palvelut
Kotkantie 2 C
Documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Planned duration of studies
Planned duration is three years.
Admission points are awarded for general academic success, for work experience and for entrance examination result.
Some applicants can be accepted in discretionary selection. The reasons for discretionary selection are e.g. difficulties in determining the applicability of certificates (applicants without the Finnish national qualifications in basic education).
If you have the required amount of points but lack sufficient readiness in oral and written communication in English, you cannot be admitted to the study programme.
Structure of studies
Vocational units 145 competence points(cp)
Compulsory vocational modules
- Customer Service, 20 cp
- Profitable operation, 20 cp
- Acting in a work community, 15 cp
Optional vocational modules
- Sales, 30 cp
- Event production, 15 cp
- Planning a business, 15 sp
- IBDP Business and Management, SL, 15 cp
- IBDP English B, SL, 10 cp
- IBCP Reflective project, 5 cp
Common units, 35 competence points
Cost of studying
Education is free. You have to have an own laptop and you buy the books yourself. In addition, IB examination fees round 200 euros.
Tiina Karvonen, Head of Department
+358 50 462 4720
Anni Saaranen, Study Counsellor
+358 40 184 9342