Vocational Qualification in Tourism Industry
Tourism activities organizer or Receptionist
- Tietoa hakemisesta
- Vocational Qualification in Tourism Industry
OSAO is offering a study programme in tourism industry delivered completely in English. After graduation you will be qualified to work in various tasks in the tourism sector in international environments.
Career and studies
After graduation you will be qualified to work in various tasks in the tourism sector, customer service tasks in sales, accommodation and implementation of tourism services in the tourism sector. You are able to service both Finnish and foreign customers in a customer-oriented manner. You can utilize good interaction skills, language proficiency and knowledge of cultures.
Employment and opportunities for further studies
The course of study provides you with vocational as well as language skills that are an advantage when working in international tourism environments.
Vocational qualification gives students eligibility for further education in universities and universities of applied sciences in Finland.
Details and application
Studies and applying
Rolling admission is aimed especially at upper secondary school graduates and those who are changing career direction and already have some previous studies or work experience. Applicants with upper secondary or higher level qualifications completed abroad are also suitable for the programme if their Finnish language skills are not sufficient for Finnish-language vocational education (matkailualan perustutkinto). The studies require both good English language skills and good study skills.
Who can apply
Basic entrance requirements for studying Vocational qualification in Business:
- Completed Finnish comprehensive school or other basic education (approximately nine years, age 7-16)
- Good written and oral command in the English language
Applicants from outside Finland
The education is targeted at Finns, citizens of the EU/ETA countries and applicants possessing a valid residence permit in the EU.
If you are a non-EU/ETA citizen, please note
- residence permit must be valid at the time of submitting the application and also at the beginning of the studies
- residence permit MUST be attached to the application, applications without an attached valid residence permit will not be processed.
Foreign applicants under 18 years old must have a legal guardian living in the Oulu area.
We will check the eligibility and guardian’s information before inviting the applicant to a selection interview.
3.4. – 11.8.2023
Start and planned duration of studies
Studies start on October 2nd 2023. Planned duration is approximately 1 year and 7 months, until the end of May 2025. You will have a personal competence development plan (PCDP). Duration of your studies depends on your prior competence and PCDP.
Place of study
OSAO, Kaukovainio unit, Services, Kotkantie 1, 90250 Oulu
Students are selected based on an interview.
Admission points (10) are awarded for an interview as follows
- prior competence, max 3 points
- need for education, max 4 points
- motivation, max 3 points
Applicants will be contacted and invited to a selection interview within a week..
Language proficiency assessment
- Good written and oral command in the English language.
- Language skills are tested in a selection interview.
Selection criteria concerning language requirements has changed since 1st of September 2022.
Form of studies
The study is carried out as full-time education in accordance with the personal competence development plan. It is not possible to complete the studies as online studies. Teaching and guidance is provided as face-to-face, online and distance learning (Teams). Studies also include independent study.
Structure of studies
Scope of qualification is 180 competence points (cp)
Compulsory vocational units, 70 cp
- Customer service in the tourism industry, compulsory unit, 30 cp and
- Tourism services , 40 cp OR
- Hotel reception services, 40 cp
Optional vocational units, 75 credit points
E.g., each unit is credited between 15-30 credit points
- Meeting services
- Accommodation services
- Cleaning services in an accommodation establishment
- Use of tourism industry reservation systems
- Marketing communications in tourism services
- Productisation of tourism services
- Guide services
- Customer service and sales at a restaurant
- Catering services for excursions and outdoor events
Common units, 35 credit points
- Communication and interaction competence
- Skills in mathematics and natural sciences
- Societal and working life competence
Cost of studying
There is no tuition fee but you must have your own laptop and buy the books yourself.
Study Counsellor Maria Juntunen, p. +358 40 6373 094, email@example.com